We’ve done away with the old method of unlocking the challenge skin here in Fortnite: Battle Royale season 9, and developer Epic Games is introducing something grander. They’re called Fortbytes: 100 little microchips that will eventually decrypt an image and unlock the challenge skin. Some are straightforward: place high in matches, play game, modes, complete challenges and the like.
Others are more specific, asking you to look in certain locations. There are 18 made available on day one, and Epic will be releasing “at least one” new one every day for the rest of the season, a reason to keep challenge seekers logging in on days besides Thursday.
We’ll let you know where to find them all, updated as things go on. Here’s what’s available right now:
- Fortbyte 1: Awarded for gaining 175,000 XP
- Fortbyte 8: Found within Junk Junction
- Fortbyte 10: Awarded for gaining 60,000 XP
- Fortbyte 13: Found at a location hidden in within loading screen #2
- Fortbyte 22: Accessible by using Rox Spray in an underpass
- Fortbyte 24: Found within Fatal Fields
- Fortbyte 25: Awarded at Battle Pass Tier 40
- Fortbyte 35: Awarded for gaining 225,000 XP
- Fortbyte 36: Can be found on a frozen island between Frosty Flight and Happy Hamlet
- Fortbyte 39: Awarded for completing 6 of the Week 2 challenges
- Fortbyte 44: Awarded at Battle Pass Tier 20
- Fortbyte 46: Awarded at Battle Pass Tier 100
- Fortbyte 47: Found between a Reboot Van, Pirate Camp, and a crashed Battlebus
- Fortbyte 55: Found in Haunted Hills
- Fortbyte 57: Awarded by finishing top 10 in squads, duos, or solo 25 times
- Fortbyte 64: Stunt Mountain location accessible by Rox
- Fortbyte 66: Awarded by finishing top 10 in squads, duos, or solo 75 times
- Fortbyte 71: Awarded for completing 6 challenges from Week
- Fortbyte 81: Accessible in the daytime near a mountain top cactus wedge
- Fortbyte 82: Accessible by solving the pressure plate puzzle NW of the Block Guide Location
- Fortbyte 84: Awarded at Battle Pass Tier 60
- Fortbyte 85: Awarded for gaining 30,000 XP
- Fortbyte 87: Awarded by finishing top 10 in squads, duos, or solo 50 times
- Fortbyte 90: Awarded by finishing top 10 in squads, duos, or solo 100 times
- Fortbyte 92: Accessible By Using Rock Love Spray Near A Lavafall
- Fortbyte 96: Awarded at Battle Pass Tier 80
- Fortbyte 99: Awarded for gaining 125,000 XP
More will be made available, and we’ll keep you updated. The number you’re looking for here is 90: that’s how many it takes to unlock the challenge skin this season as part of the Utopia challenge. It seems like the full list of Fortbytes has leaked out, which we’ll post once it’s clear what we’re looking at. Still, like with most unlocked challenges like this, it will only help you so much. You can only complete challenges as they’re made available, and so you might as well just wait for them to show up in-game.
It’s a fun new mechanic, and excited to see where it goes. It seems fairly specific to the future theme, but the developer could always deploy something similar for future seasons.